Your spine is a collection of 33 vertebrae, all stacked together like Jenga blocks. When correctly aligned, they create a sturdy foundation for good posture and health. But when pieces start to fall out of place, it’s only a matter of time before everything comes crumbling down in a cascade of back pain.
Most office chairs provide some level of spinal support to prevent pieces from falling out of place. But the all33 BackStrong C1 is a true grandmaster, stacking all 33 vertebrae into perfect alignment without fail. Developed by a licensed chiropractor, the innovative office chair features a pivoting bucket-like seat that moves with your body, forcing good posture as you work, sit, and play.
Now, I can’t promise that the BackStrong will fix all your problems — it’s still just a chair, after all. But after reviewing the all33 BackStrong C1, I am confident that it will help straighten your posture and eliminate your back pain.
all33 BackStrong C1 Overview
- Price:: $799
- Height: : 48.86 lbs
- Best for:: Posture, back support, comfort
- Available Colors:: Black, Red, Tan
- Sit In Motion® bucket seat pivots with your pelvis, encouraging circulation and flexibility as you work
- Ergonomics features include 3” of height adjustability, approximately 30° of recline, and flip-up armrests
- 5-star frame and pneumatic gas lift support users from 4’11” to 6’1”, up to 275 pounds
Check out the BackStrong C1 from all33 on the manufacturer’s site to see more features.
all33 BackStrong C1 Pros & Cons
- Posture-correcting bucket seat makes it impossible to slouch
- Comfy foam cushions and reinforced lumbar support provide excellent back pain relief
- Durable build quality feels sturdy and secure
- Simple 6-piece construction takes under ten minutes to build
- Core-activating design helps build muscle strength over time, providing long-term posture correction
- Novel design requires a break-in period as your body adjusts
- Lacks the adjustability of other high-end chairs
- Plastic construction feels less premium than some competing models
What Does The all33 BackStrong C1 Feel Like?
The biggest challenge in describing the all33 BackStrong C1 is that there’s nothing else like it. The chair’s revolutionary pivoting seat forces proper posture and keeps you gently moving throughout the day, in a way most of us are totally unfamiliar with. While this novel design makes it effective, the motion can also leave you a little off-balance at first.
Fortunately, you can remedy any steadiness issues by scooting yourself all the way back, pressing your tailbone snugly against the bottom of the bucket-like seat. all33’s Sit In Motion® design takes it from there, applying pressure to your lower back and pushing all 33 vertebrae into their natural state.
While it’s a sensation you really have to feel to understand, this next section goes over some key details in the areas of comfort, ergonomics, construction and design, and durability.
Once you’ve adjusted to the all33’s novel design, it genuinely feels like sitting on Cloud 9. That said, there’s an initial break-in period as your back and core begin engaging in new ways. Let me tell you, it’s a strange sensation when your body wants to return to its typical posture and your chair won’t allow it. The feeling doesn’t hurt, but there’s definitely an internal yearning to return to familiar territory.
Fortunately, the BackStrong’s supportive padding and plush vegan leather offer excellent support from the get-go, encouraging you to remain steadfast in your seat.
The all33 BackStrong lacks the adjustability of other chairs, but that’s by design. If you could adjust a dial here and press a button there, you’d probably end up back into a sub-optimal sitting posture.
That’s not to say that the BackStrong C1 is devoid of adjustment mechanisms. You can adjust the chair’s height by 3”, and the tilt resistance knob provides recline down to roughly 30°. The armrests also swing upward and back, letting you get cozy with your desk while working.
Construction & Design
Like many users, I initially disliked the BackStrong’s strange two-in-one seat design. But over time, it’s come to remind me of a little planet — the pivoting seat is its center mass, and the backrest is the outer ring that keeps it all together. Combined with the 44” height profile, the all33 is a statement piece in the office, with an out-of-this-world look that I’ve grown quite fond of.
One thing that I still dislike about the C1 is its all-plastic construction. I understand the reasoning behind this choice, but it does make the chair look a little less luxurious. One way to remedy this is choosing tan or red for the cushions, which provides a brilliant pop of color that almost overrides my distaste for the plastic.
While I don’t love the look of the chair’s hard plastic construction, there’s no denying its durability. The entire chair feels quite sturdy, with no bending or wobbling components. What’s more, the BackStrong C1 holds users up to 6’1” and 275 pounds, no problem (that’s over 80% of the population, according to US government data).
The folks at all33 are clearly confident about its strength, too, as indicated by the best-in-class lifetime warranty.
Our Verdict of the all33 BackStrong C1
all33 is a game-changer. The BackStrong’s pivoting seat and supportive frame bring more innovation to the space than any chair since the Aeron’s release nearly 30 years ago. Moreover, the BackStrong’s Sit in Motion® technology provides postural and lower back support that’s unrivaled in the office chair space, delivering targeted relief where it’s needed most.
If none of that blows your mind, consider that the all33 comes with six simple pieces that take less than ten minutes to assemble. This less-is-more approach is honestly a breath of fresh air compared to complex designs with tons of unnecessary bells and whistles.
None of this is to say that the all33 is perfect, however.
I sincerely wish the chair was made from a more attractive material and had more color options. It would also be nice to see next-level features like a headrest alongside a mode with more recline. There’s also the whopping $799 price tag, positioning the all33 right between the Herman Miller Sayl and Steelcase Leap — formidable competition, to say the least.
But at the end of the day, none of my complaints affect how much support all33 offers, and that’s what really matters. I’m happy to report that the BackStrong lives up to its namesake, making it an excellent option for support and comfort as you work and play.
Other Models from all33
- Vegan Leather BackStrong C1 ($799) – This eco- and animal-friendly version sports a shiny faux leather finish for a durable, classy aesthetic.
- Fabric BackStrong C1 ($799) – This soft fabric version is 100% recyclable and best-suited for home offices with a classic, cozy feel.
Comparable Chairs from Other Brands
- Steelcase Leap / Amazon ($979) – The Steelcase Leap’s LiveBack® technology encourages better posture in various positions, but it doesn’t offer nearly as much lumbar support as all33.
- Herman Miller Sayl ($595) – Although it doesn’t look like the BackStrong, the Herman Miller Sayl also boasts a strange aesthetic designed to improve posture and increase circulation.
- Gaiam Balance Ball Chair / Amazon ($100) – Balance balls provide a similar type of motion as the all33, but they completely lack in ergonomics.
Should You Buy The all33 BackStrong C1?
The all33 BackStrong C1 is among the best investments you can make to support your body’s health and wellbeing. Its Sit in Motion® seat forces proper posture, reducing back pain and building core strength over time. The slouch-proof design also improves circulation, muscle oxygenation, and long-term flexibility — all from the comfort of its cloud-like cushioning.
Unfortunately, such value doesn’t come cheap. At $799, the BackStrong C1 costs a pretty penny. But that’s why it’s an investment, one that creates natural, noticeable results over the long term. It’s also liable to save you thousands on future chiropractor and office visits — and I call that exceptional value.
There’s one area in particular where I can’t recommend the BackStrong C1, and that’s for lounging and watching TV. While it’s undoubtedly best to maintain good posture all the time, sometimes you just need to kick back and relax. The all33 simply isn’t designed for this.
Still, when all’s said and done, the all33 BackStrong has quickly become one of my favorite office chairs. With its recent Shark Tank appearance (yes, really!), it’s also starting to make serious waves in the industry. I believe that it’s the next great innovation in office chairs, and I highly recommend it for most users seeking to improve posture and eliminate back pain once and for all.
- Proprietary Sit In Motion® seat adjusts to your micromovements, reducing fatigue and improving blood flow
- Built with 100% recyclable materials, including vegan leather and eco-safe foam
- Seat design cradles your lower back, aligning your spine into a healthy posture
- Warranty: Lifetime
- Return Period: 60 Days
- Shipping: Free
- Price: $799
- Height: 44 inches
- Weight: 48.86 lbs
- Best for: Posture, back pain, ergonomics
- Available Colors: Black, Red, Tan